Event highlights for the 2017 year:
- Paddle the Border (14th year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spring Paddle is Sunday May 21st Fall Paddle is Sunday October 1st
- Birding With Bill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mid-May on a Friday to be announced
- Trails Day Work Day (20th year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . National Trails Day, Saturday June 3rd
- CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride (20th Year) . . . . . . Saturday September 30th
Paddle the Border: This event starts with a canoe and kayak paddle on the Connecticut River held semi-annually in both May and October. This event’s sponsors include NCC, Bradford Conservation Commission, Haverhill Recreation Commission, & Lower Cohase Chamber of Commerce. The Paddle is followed by a cookout provided by the Wells River/Woodsville Rotary Club, live music by Strawberry Farm Band, and displays set up by Community groups to promote historical, cultural, educational, and environmental information about the Connecticut River Valley.
- The May paddle goes from the Woodsville Community Field to Bedell Bridge State Park (Sunday, May 21, 2017).
- The October Paddle goes from the Newbury/Haverhill Crossing boat launch to Bugbee Landing in Bradford (Sunday, October 2, 2017).
Trails Day Work Day: National Trails Day is held every year on the first Saturday in June. Volunteers can participate locally by joining NCC and CVTA in a workday involving the upkeep of local hiking trails. This year we will be working on the Wells River Nature Trails. Part of the Boltonville Nature Trail needs to be re-routed, and The Boltonville and Blue Mt. Nature Trails need to be new signage. We meet at Blue Mt. School on Saturday, June 3, 2017.
- Trail Maintenance is a year round effort. The most effective way to maintain the trail system is by utilizing volunteers. What a great way to enjoy the outdoors and assist others at the same time. If you are not familiar with the hiking trails in Newbury and/or would like to volunteer your time, please contact any NCC member and we will gladly show you the trails.
Birding With Bill: This May event is held with Bill Shepard, the Executive Director of the Connecticut River Birding Trails, and local host Alice Allen. The Group explores the Wells River Nature Trails while successfully calling and identifying a large variety of birds. This is a very popular event and group size is limited. For more info on “Birding with Bill” call Alice Allen at 802-584-4077.
CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride: This annual ride is held on the Cross Vermont Trail, from Kettle Pond in Groton State Park to Blue Mt. School. The event saw a lot of new riders this year, both local and from out of the area. The CVT Fall Foliage ride is held every year on the last Saturday of September. (Saturday, September 30, 2017).
For more information, please contact:
Michael Thomas 802-757-3960