Event highlights for the 2018 year:
- Paddle the Border (15th year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spring Paddle is Sunday May 20th Fall Paddle is Sunday October 7th
- Birding With Bill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mid-May on a Friday to be announced
- Trails Day Work Day (21st year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . National Trails Day, Saturday June 2nd
- CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride (21th Year) . . . . . . Saturday September 29th
- Trail Maintenance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Year Round
Paddle the Border: This event starts with a canoe and kayak paddle on the Connecticut River held semi-annually in both May and October. Event sponsors include NCC, Bradford Conservation Commission, Haverhill Recreation Commission, & Lower Cohase Chamber of Commerce. The Paddle is followed by a cookout provided by the Wells River/Woodsville Rotary Club, live music by Strawberry Farm Band, and displays set up by Community groups to promote historical, cultural, educational, and environmental information about the Connecticut River Valley. The 2017 fall paddle was comprised of 98 kayaks and canoes. Join us in 2018 to celebrate the event’s 15th year!
- The May paddle begins from the Woodsville Community Field and goes to Bedell Bridge State Park (2018 date Sunday May 20).
- The October Paddle goes from the Newbury/Haverhill Crossing boat launch to Bugbee Landing in Bradford (2018 date Sunday October 7).
Trails Day Work Day: National Trails Day is held every year on the first Saturday in June. 2018 will be the 21st year of this important day. Volunteers can participate locally by joining NCC and CVTA in a workday involving the upkeep of local hiking trails. This year we will be working on the Wells River Nature Trails. Part of the Boltonville Nature Trail needs to be re-routed, and the Boltonville and Blue Mt. Nature Trails need new signage. We meet at Blue Mt. School on Saturday June 2.
Trail Maintenance is a year round effort. The most effective way to maintain the trail system is by utilizing volunteers. What a great way to enjoy the outdoors and assist others at the same time. If you are not familiar with the hiking trails in Newbury and/or would like to volunteer your time, please contact any NCC member and we will gladly show you the trails.
Birding With Bill: This May event is held with Bill Shepard, Executive Director of the Connecticut River Birding Trails, and local host Alice Allen. The Group explores the Wells River Nature Trails, successfully calling and identifying a large variety of birds. This is a very popular event and group size is limited. For more information on “Birding with Bill” call Alice Allen at 802-584-4077 or visit our web site.
CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride: This year’s annual ride on the Cross Vermont Trail is also in its 21st year. The ride starts from Kettle Pond in Groton State Park and goes to Blue Mt. School. We had a great turnout in 2017 and saw a lot of new riders, both local and from out of the area. The CVT Fall Foliage ride is held every year on the last Saturday of September. (2018 date Saturday September 29).
For more information, please contact:
Michael Thomas 802-757-3960