EVENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2020
- Paddle the Border (17th year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spring Paddle is Sunday May 17th Fall Paddle is Sunday October 4th
- Birding With Bill . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mid-May on a Friday to be announced
- Trails Day Work Day (23rd year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . National Trails Day, Saturday June 6th
- CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride (23rd Year) . . . . . . Saturday September 26th
- Trail Maintenance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Year Round
Paddle the Border: This event starts with a canoe and kayak paddle on the Connecticut River held semi-annually in both May and October. Event sponsors include NCC, Haverhill Recreation Commission, Bradford Conservation Commission, Lower Cohase Chamber of Commerce, with support from Upper Valley Land Trust and Upper Valley Trails Alliance. The Paddle is followed by a cookout provided by the Cohase Lions Club, live music by Strawberry Farm Band, and displays set up by Community groups to promote historical, cultural, educational, and environmental information about the Connecticut River Valley. Join us in 2020 to celebrate the event’s 17th year!
- The May paddle begins from the Woodsville Community Field and goes to Bedell Bridge State Park 2020 date Sunday May 17
- The October Paddle goes from the Newbury/Haverhill Crossing boat launch to Bugbee Landing in Bradford 2020 date Sunday October 4.
Trails Day Work Day: National Trails Day is held every year on the first Saturday in June. 2020 will be the 23rd year of this important day. Volunteers can participate locally by joining NCC and CVTA in a workday involving the upkeep of local hiking trails. This year we will be working on the Cross Vermont Trail from Botonville parking area to the access trail to Blue Mt. School. We meet at Blue Mt. School We meet at Blue Mt. School on Saturday June 6.
Trail Maintenance is a year round effort. The most effective way to maintain the trail system is by utilizing volunteers. What a great way to enjoy the outdoors and assist others at the same time. If you are not familiar with the hiking trails in Newbury and/or would like to volunteer your time, please contact any NCC member and we will gladly show you the trails.
Birding With Bill: This May event is held with Bill Shepard, Executive Director of the Connecticut River Birding Trails, and local host Alice Allen. The Group explores the Wells River Nature Trails, successfully calling and identifying a large variety of birds. This is a very popular event and group size is limited. For more information on “Birding with Bill” call Alice Allen at 802-584-4077 or visit our web site.
CVT Fall Foliage Bicycle Ride: This year’s annual ride on the Cross Vermont Trail is also in its 23rd year. The ride starts from Kettle Pond in Groton State Park and goes to Blue Mt. School. We had a great turnout in 2019, lot of new riders, both local and from out of the area. The CVT Fall Foliage ride is held every year on the last Saturday of September. 2020 date Saturday September 26
For more information, please contact:
Michael Thomas 802-757-3960